Gotham Knights is an upcoming role-playing action-adventure video game developed by WB Games Montreal and published by Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment. Based on DC Comics' Batman and his supporting cast, the game was first revealed at DC FanDome on August 22nd, 2020 and is set to be released October 25th 2022.
- "Batman is dead. It is now up to the Batman Family - Batgirl, Nightwing, Red Hood and Robin- to protect Gotham City, bring hope to its citizens, discipline to its cops and fear to its criminals. You must evolve into the new Dark Knight and save Gotham from chaos."
— Official Description
Gotham Knights is set in Gotham City shortly after the death of Batman. His death, coupled with the death of GCPD Commissioner James Gordon has resulted in the city being stricken with a crime wave. As a contingency, Batman sent out a final message, known as "Code Black" to the members of the Bat Family and entrusted them with protecting the city. Accepting Batman's last wishes, the Bat Family has embarked on a crusade to keep Gotham safe from the many criminals and supervillains that threaten the city such as the Court of Owls and Mr. Freeze. Batman's former butler Alfred Pennyworth and GCPD Police Captain Renee Montoya have offered their assistance to the Bat Family to help them accomplish their mission.
The game is an open-world RPG that allows players to explore the entirety of Gotham City's five boroughs. The Batcycle may be used for fast traversal around the city. The game can be played in singleplayer and also features a two-player online cooperative mode which allows the second player to drop in and out of missions at any time. Both players can play as the same character during a session. Additionally, both players do not need to be within the vicinity of one another and can explore different parts of the city simultaneously.
Four characters are available to control: Batgirl, Nightwing, Robin and Red Hood. Each character features their own moves, skill trees, special abilities, gear, and suit styles. During the day, players will occupy the Belfry which acts as the team's base of operations and allows players to switch characters and prepare for the next mission by managing progression, analyzing mission clues, crafting and upgrading gear and suit styles, etc. Players may also speak with other characters within the Belfry such as Alfred Pennyworth. Upon leaving the Belfry, the game will fast forward to night.
Attacks and abilities deal set damage numbers, which are displayed on screen every time an opponent is hit. A meter is located under the player's health bar which allows them to unleash a special ability once filled such as Batgirl's ability to summon a swarm of bats. The bar can be refilled by damaging opponents with basic attacks. Level progression for each character is done by obtaining experience by defeating enemies and completing missions. Upon leveling up, enemy levels will be scaled to match that of the player and special enemy types will become more prevalent.
- The game is confirmed to not be connected to the Batman: Arkham Series, despite sharing several story and gameplay elements.
- WB Games stated that game was never intended to be part of the Arkham Series because they did not want to be constrained by the story of that franchise.
- In an interview with IGN, creative director Patrick Redding stated that the game is not based on any existing DC comics and is WB Games' own interpretation of several aspects of the Batman lore.
- WB Games has confirmed that players will not be required to switch their characters at any point in the game's story.